Friday, December 09, 2011

Where Have All The Christmas Cards Gone?!



I remember as a child how much I loved write Christmas cards out for our family each year. Then I would wait with anticipation for cards to arrive in the mail. I especially loved the ones that included a family photo, and I would lovingly tape them all up to display for the whole Christmas season.

I've continued that tradition of sending cards. Now it's my own set of family and friends--friends old and new... aunts and uncles and cousins who live close by and across the country.

Before kids, I always sent out the kind of cards you can buy in a store; after the kids were born Ive been more inspired always sending out something more creative. :)
This year I sent out 72 cards. I've tried to keep them personal! I really did try to write on the back of each one (if your card was missing this I'm sorry the kids helped with some) I send them out in hand written envelopes just because it makes it feel more personal to receive something someone actually took time to write.

Then we wait...and, just like when I was a little, I cant wait to get out to the mailbox, even in the snow and cold  just to find envelopes from people I haven't heard from in a year. It used to be we would get 2 or 3 or more a day starting right after Thanksgiving.

Except that this year, its December 9th, I've received only FOUR cards. FOUR.
I'm beginning to wonder if we're going to receive many cards this year. Are they a thing of the past? Is it the economy and the fact that postage is crazy? Do people think that since we are all on facebook and twitter that Christmas Cards are out of date?!

I hope not. Its one of my most favorite Christmas traditions and I would be very sad to see it fade into something of the past. So get to it people...its easy and its fun...go to the store grab some cards (pay for them though ;)that's important too ) then go home make some hot chocolate, turn on the Christmas tunes and write a short note in a pretty card to those you love and appreciate. I promise you it counts!!!

Merry Christmas to you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree! I love Christmas cards!!! LOVE them! I trot out to our mailbox each day in the same way, looking forward to those holiday greetings. :) Doug mentioned not sending them out this year due to cost, but I wouldn't have it... It's one my favorites as well. :) I hope it always continues!